Poll: 70% of Americans Support a Military Weapons Ban – Do You?
Do you support a military weapons ban?
by Future Majority | 8.8.19
In the aftermath of this month's mass shootings, did you know that 70% of all voters support banning military weapons according to a new poll? Learn more in the piece published by Countable below, and share your opinion above.
What’s the story?
- 70% of all voters would support banning assault weapons, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.
- The poll was conducted Aug. 5-7, in the immediate aftermath of two mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.
What are the numbers?
- 86% of Democrats would back such a ban.
- 55% of GOP voters would support banning assault weapons, and 54% said they’d support stricter gun laws more generally. (Politico notes that this finding contradicts President Donald Trump’s claims that there’s “no political appetite” for such restrictions.)
- 90% of Republican voters said they would back universal background checks for weapons purchases.
- 23% of potential voters opposed an assault weapons ban.
- 89% of voters want to block gun sales to people who have been reported as dangerous to law enforcement by mental health providers.
- 84% support banning people convicted of violent misdemeanors from purchasing guns.
What do you think?
52% of respondents think it’s either not very likely or not likely at all that Congress will act. Tell Congress what you think above, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: iStock / SlobodanMiljevic)
Seeing 2020: Freedom from Climate Changeby Future Majority | 10.15.19 With the 2020 presidential race underway, candidates have presented their plans on what climate Climate Change
by Future Majority | 10.16.19
Trump Continues to Ignore Whistleblower Protection Lawsby Future Majority | The Hill Reports : Trump: Whistleblower must testify and be identified Trump has consistently threatened to Strong Democracy
by Future Majority | 10.14.19
Trump’s Trade War Could Put Swiss-Size Dent in Global EconomyThe New York Times Reports : Trump’s Trade War Could Put Swiss-Size Dent in Global Economy, I.M.F. Warns The new head of the Smart Capitalism
by Future Majority | 10.11.19