Recommendation: Democrats must PIVOT to H.R.1 and McConnell's Corruption
Tell us what you think in the comments.
Originally published on 6/3/19 on FutureMajority.org
With impeachment talks dominating media coverage, Future Majority recommends the following strategy in addition to sharing your personal views on the subject: PIVOT to the For the People Act (H.R. 1) and McConnell’s corruption.
The right-wing media and Republican leadership are in lockstep with Trump and McConnell in arguing “case closed” on investigations and impeachment.
Fox News is spending its time branding Democrats with, “No Agenda and No Results” and Trump is still claiming he’ll “Drain the Swamp.”
It is critical that leaders across the country fight back to save our democracy. Every single Democrat Member in the House and Senate supports H.R.1 and we must turn the heat up on Mitch McConnell to schedule a vote on this critical legislation immediately.
One should ask:
- Do Senators Collins, Gardner, McSally and other vulnerable Members of the GOP Conference support Russia over our free and fair elections?
- Do Senators Collins, Gardner, McSally support not disclosing who is paying for digital and other dark money political ads?
- Do they actually believe the cost of drugs will go down or roads and bridges will be built until we fix our broken campaign finance system?
It is time for Democrats to play offense. The For the People Act (H.R. 1) has 3 key components to restore our democracy:
- Requiring full disclosure and transparency of lobbyists by stopping the revolving door between Congress and K Street
- Protecting U.S. elections by expanding voting protections and stopping the corrosive influence of foreign money in our elections
- Stopping the unregulated dark money polluting our political system and ending Citizens United
The discussion around impeachment is important, but Democrats often get wrapped up in legal nuance and process and forget to pivot back to the Republican blockade on the legislative solution to prevent this from happening again: The For the People agenda.
Voters in 2016 and 2018 demanded the system be cleaned up. Democrats are acting. Republicans are blocking. It is critical to pivot back to this major point.
Your Daily Round Up for February 28thGood afternoon. Here are the latest news and updates that our team at Future Majority is tracking. Another Saturday, another
#TrumpSlump Stresses Global MarketsWall Street Journal Reports: U.S. Stocks Fall on Fresh Trade Tensions U.S. stocks fall as a result of Trump's tweet saying he Infrastructure
Memo - How we got here: COVID-19 in the U.S.It’s hard to describe how events have turned in the past several weeks in the United States. What once seemed like a far-off