Marking 100 Days of Accomplishment, Accountability, & Republican Obstruction
Tell us what you think in the comments.
Originally published on 4/4/19 on FutureMajority.org
Time flies when you’re trying to save American democracy.
It seems like just yesterday that Nancy Pelosi was taking back the speaker’s gavel after the American people voted to take back their house from lobbyists, special interests and corrupt politicians.
But here we are, nearing the 100-day mark of the new Democratic majority -- 100 days of accomplishments, accountability and GOP obstruction.
From healthcare to oversight, Democrats are keeping the promises they made to voters in the midterm elections as they fight for America and the American people.
Here are just a few of the critical steps House Democrats have taken to provide economic relief for the hard-working American middle class while providing Constitutionally-required oversight of the Trump administration that had gone missing in Washington:
- Passed meaningful gun safety legislation -- two background check bills that expand background checks to private gun sales and close the “Charleston loophole;
- Held the line on Donald Trump’s disastrous government shutdown;
- Brought Trump’s “fixer” to testify about the president’s immorality and criminal behavior in front of the entire country;
- Voted to overturn Trump’s dangerous and unnecessary national emergency;
- Voted for the first time to take back congressional war powers and end the U.S.-backed war in Yemen;
- Sent subpoenas to administration officials who have jeopardized our national security by treating the security clearance process like a game;
- Passed a resolution condemning Trump administration attacks on the Affordable Care Act and the millions of Americans who have benefitted from it;
- Passed a resolution demanding the full Mueller report be shared with Congress and the American people;
- And in March, we passed the cornerstone of our legislative agenda: H.R. 1 -- the For the People Act -- critical legislation that would make it easier for people to vote, put an end to corruption in Trump’s Washington and require presidential candidates to disclose their tax returns.
And we’re just getting started.
Speaker Pelosi already has plans for this Congress to take on prescription drug prices, equal pay for women, net neutrality and our nation’s crumbling infrastructure.
We know the media loves to paint a picture of a divided Democratic Party, but as our record makes clear, we are getting things done for the American people.
Unfortunately, the anti-American obstructionism we saw from Mitch McConnell when he stole a Supreme Court seat has only grown since we took control of the House. And McConnell has made it clear that he is not interested in any of our efforts to root out corruption, conduct oversight or fight for the middle class.
Reports out of Washington tell us that McConnell’s only priority for this year is confirming unqualified Trump judges and officials while he leaves important life-changing legislation to wither and die.
By now, we know who and what McConnell is.
But we will not be deterred. We will not be discouraged. And we will not be defeated.
The harder we work on Capitol Hill this year, the more we’re reminded of how hard we need to work to win back the Senate and the White House next year.
One hundred days in, our leaders are doing what we have asked them to do.
Now we need to get them some help to make our priorities become realities.
Your Daily Round Up for February 28thGood afternoon. Here are the latest news and updates that our team at Future Majority is tracking. Another Saturday, another
#TrumpSlump Stresses Global MarketsWall Street Journal Reports: U.S. Stocks Fall on Fresh Trade Tensions U.S. stocks fall as a result of Trump's tweet saying he Infrastructure
We Need Your Help To Save The Postal ServiceThe U.S. Postal Service is experiencing massive backlogs as lack of funding has forced the agency to implement huge cost-cutting